Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Lesson Study Conference

It was a good experience for me as we have not started lesson study in our school yet. It was heartening to see that many people believe in and have done lesson study in their schools. I agree with Seow Koon that lesson study can start small. The most important thing is to get buy-in from a core group of people and to start!

The conference especially Keynote speaker Dr Yoshida corrected my many misconceptions about lesson study. I learnt that lesson study is not about developing a library of "perfect" lessons but is focussed mainly on the professional development of teachers. This certainly put things in perspective and now I know how to pitch the idea of lesson study to the teachers in my school.

Going forward, we will be using lesson study as a tool to test our curriculum design as we have designed some of our units using UBD. We are also interested to integrate the PETALs framework into this.

I also want to thank everyone who so generously shared their knowledge with this LS noob (i.e. me :))and I hope I will have the opportunity to share with you guys about our experiences in North Vista with regards to LS next year.

No comments: