Tuesday, December 16, 2008

WALS 08 Conference

This was the first time I have encountered so many LS enthusiasts and advocates.

The quality of presentations were generally high.

I particularly enjoyed the keynotes by Dr Marton and Dr Yoshida.
I was intrigued by Dr Lo's sharing on variation theory; but the pragmatist in me is still cynical of the full implementation of the Variation Theory.

Already, skeptics of LS are already wary of the micro-study of lesson for professional development; the Variation Theory might just push them over the wall. It also does not help to have the Variation Theory, filled with bursting, a lot of academic jargon; again, that seems to limit access to understanding and appreciation by teachers.

Having said that, I am still interested in the Variation Theory (VT); my own personal take is to understand the intent and big picture of VT and infuse the thinking into lesson design for Lesson Study. As it is, I am still not ready for Learning Study.

More when I have more brainstorm...time to go for breakfast now...the Wife is calling...

Ciao
Mun Wai

No comments: