Friday, December 12, 2008

reflections on the WALS 08

The main purpose of lesson study is to make teacher a life-long learner. According to Dr Makoto Yoshida, there are three essential components of lesson study: 1) well researched and planned lessons with a clear hypothesis, 2) live observation of the lesson with various participants, 3) focused post –lesson discussion based on participants' observation.

 

Lesson study is a group effort and through collaborating with colleagues, we are able to learn from one another. I perceive lesson study as a professional development to keep on improving my teaching and also indirectly improve my relationship with the colleagues that I am working with.

 

The principal in HKMA KS LO Collage see lesson study as a Win-Win-Win situation. First, the teachers get a chance to improve on their teaching making them more competitive than other teachers. Second, the students will be able to understand the lesson better. Third, through the help of lesson study, the school will be able to maintain its competitiveness and market position. During his presentation, he has shown us figures and evidence on before lesson study was conducted and after lesson study was conducted. It is clear that lesson study works for his school. It is indeed a win-win-win situation.

 

I must say that the conference has given me more ideas and ways on how to improve myself. I see lesson study as a professional development to keep on improving my teaching.

 

I would like to thank Mr Yeo and Mrs Cheng for giving me the opportunity, Mun Wai for coordinating.

 

Angela Tan



CONFIDENTIALITY: If this email has been sent to you by mistake, please notify the sender and delete it immediately. As it may contain confidential information, the retention or dissemination of its contents may be an offence under the Official Secrets Act.


No comments: